Name : Dr. Mullai Baalaaji A R
Academic Qualifications: MBBS, MD, DNB (Pediatrics), IDPCCM, DM (Pediatric Critical Care)
Current Designation and Place of Work: Consultant Pediatric Intensivist, – Kovai Medical Center and Hospital, Avanashi Road, Coimbatore
Degree Institution/University Year passed
M.B.,B.S. Madras Medical College/ The T.N. Dr. MGR Medical
M.D. (Pediatrics) Institute of Child Health, Madras Medical College/
The T.N. Dr. MGR Medical University
DNB (Pediatrics) National Board of Examinations 2012
Indian Diploma of Pediatric
Critical Care Medicine
Indian Academy of Pediatrics/ College of Pediatric
DM (Pediatric Critical Care) Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and
Work experience (in chronological order).
Position held Name of the Institution Period
Registrar, Pediatrics Dr. Mehta’s Hospitals Pvt. Ltd., Chetpet, Chennai July 2011 – June 2012
Senior Resident, Pediatrics Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and
June 2012 – December
DM Pediatric Critical Care
Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and
January 2014 till
International Observer –
Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC,
August – October, 2016
Pediatric Critical Care
Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research
March 2017- August 2017
Kovai Medical Center and Hospital, Coimbatore August 2017 – Till
1.Dr. G. Ramarao Gold Medal
2.Dr. Govinda Reddy Medal
3.Dr. Rangachari Endowment Prize
4.Blacklock Memorial Gold Medal
5.Dr. S. Govindarajan Endowment Prize
6.Dr. R. Chandramohan Memorial Prize
7.Dr. Medicos S2 Prize
8.T.T. Ramalingam Memorial Gold Medal
9.1952 MMC Batch Golden Jubilee Reunion Prize
2) M.D. Pediatrics
IAP-TNSC – Dr.J.Viswanathan Memorial Post Graduate award
3) DM – Pediatric Critical Care
1. ICMR Travel grant for Young scientist – 2015 to present oral paper at WFSICCM 2015, Seoul,
2. Best Oral Paper – Third Prize at NCPCC 2016, Mumbai
G. Scientific Society Membership:
1. Life Member – Indian Academy of Pediatrics & IAP-Intensive Care Chapter
2. Life member – Indian Society of Critical Care Medicine
3. Member – Neurocritical Care Society
4. National Instructor – IAP-ALS
1) Jayashree M, Baalaaji M. Choice of maintenance fluids – Does it hold water? Indian Pediatr. 2014;51:963-
2) Baalaaji M, Saptharishi LG, Singhi S, Jayashree M, Bansal A, Karthi N. Clinical profile and outcomes in
children with malignancies admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit of a resource-limited setting.
3) Baalaaji M, Jayashree M. Symposium: Neurocritical Care. Acute flaccid paralysis. J Pediatr Crit Care
4) Poovazhagi V, Baalaaji M, Muralidharan PS. Familial hypercholesterolemia in siblings with Diabetes
mellitus. Pediatric Oncall 2011;8(1):19-20.
5) Baalaaji M, Choudhary A, Ismail J, Kumar A, Bansal A, Nallasamy K. Needle aspiration for neck
swellings- Think before you prick!!. Clinical Pediatrics DOI: 10.1177/0009922817701 175.
6) Jayashree M, Sasidharan R, Singhi S, Nallasamy K, Baalaaji M. Root Cause Analysis of Diabetic
Ketoacidosis Admissions at a tertiary referral Pediatric Emergency Department in North India. and its
complications – A developing country experience. Indian J Endocr Metab. 2017;21:710-14.
7) Baalaaji M, Jayashree M, Nallasamy K, Singhi S, Bansal A. Predictors and Outcome of Acute kidney
injury in children with Diabetic ketoacidosis. Indian Pediatr. Volume 55 – April 2018.
8) Sedation and Analgesia in Office Practice. Indian J Practical Pediatrics. 19(4): Oct. –Dec. 2017.
9) Baalaaji M. Acute Encephalitis Syndrome. Journal of Pediatr Crit Care 2020;7(3):108-9.
10) TP Vigneshwaran, AR Mullai Baalaaji, S Ashok Kumar, Ashwath Duraiswamy. Think before you drink:
Fatal case of meningitis in an infant. Journal of Pediatr Crit Care 2020;7(3):144
Contribution to Books:
1) Mullai Baalaaji, Sunit Singhi. Refractory status epilepticus. In: Gupta BD, et al, eds. Recent Trends in
Pediatrics Volume 2: Pediatric Neurology, 2013.
2) Mullai Baalaaji, Karthi Nallasamy. Bronchiolitis. In: Pratibha Singhi, ed. Current Pediatrics Practice Series
3) Mullai Baalaaji, Arunkumar Baranwal. Animal Bite Injuries. In: Post Graduate Textbook of Pediatrics.
4) IAP-ALS Provider Manual. Chapter on Triage, Arrhythmias
5) Sodium Disturbances in PICU. In: Critical Care Update 2018.
6) Ventilation Loops and Curves. In: IAP – Intensive Care Ventilation Workshop Manual.
J. Conferences/CME as Invited Faculty:
1) SRMC Ventilation Workshop, Chennai 2017
2) 19th National Conference of Pediatric Intensive Care, Chandigarh 2017
3) IAP-IJPP CME, Chennai 2017
4) Kongu Pedicon, Coimbatore 2017
5) Pedicon Nagpur, 2018
6) SRMC Ventilation Workshop, Chennai 2018
rd Mehta Pediatric Critical Care CME, 2018
8) Co-Organising Secretary, 20th National Conference of Pediatric Intensive Care, Coimbatore, 2018
9) Pedicon Mumbai, 2019
10) 4th Mehta Pediatric Critical Care CME, 2019
E-mail for Correspondence: firstname.lastname@example.org